Bringing you yet another delicious Appetizer to amplify the Diwali celebration! no doubt 10/10 on flavors, definitely a crowd pleaser and so easy to make ahead of time ( thats a big plus for me) so meal-friendly dish!
it's super easy to make and definitely less complicated than you might have thought in your head! so don't hesitate to add this to your Diwali Thali menu or Diwali party menu! I bet it will be a big hit!
Ingredients: 1 cup Split urad dal 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 tbsp Rice (optional) 2-3 green chilies 1 tsp Cumin seeds salt to taste Oil for frying 2 cups thick Greek yogurt or curd water as needed
Directions: (For Dahi/Yogurt mixture)
Whisk yogurt and water together until smooth and slightly runny.
Add salt and sugar to taste.
Keep it aside
Directions: (For Wada)
1. Thoroughly rinse both the dals, and soak in enough water overnight (at least 6 hours)
2. Next morning Rinse the dal again and add it to a blender( if you have a small blender do it in parts), add 2-3 green chilies, 1 tsp Cumin seeds, salt to taste.
3. Add salt right when blending helps the consistency of the batter.
4. Add water little by little only to help to blend, blend the mixture into the thick smooth batter ( do not make it runny)
5. Now whisk the batter using a hand whisk for 10 mins so air is formed and it becomes fluffy. you can use Kitchen Aid for 3-4 mins.
6. Test of the batter is if you add the small portion in a mug filled with water, it should float.
7. This is optional but if you can do it since it makes a huge difference, keep the batter resting for at least 30 mins before frying Wada. it helps to ferment further and add more air so Wada becomes fluffy.
8. Add Oil to a deep frying pan, let it heat up on medium heat. do a small heat test by adding a tsp of batter.
Meanwhile, keep a bowl of water adding a pinch of salt ready for soaking the Wada.
9. Now as the oil is hot, take a small portion of batter using all your finger and directly drop it pushing it forward thumb into the oil carefully.
Fry only a few at a time.
10. Fry until golden brown on all sides.
11. Take it out and dump the Wada in saltwater for few minutes.
12. Take the Wada out of the salt water and gently dab in between the palm to remove excess water.
13. Put the Wada in the Yogurt mixture made earlier and let it rest at least 1 hour before devouring.
1. Drizzle some Mint chutney and tamarind date chutney
2. Sprinkle some nylon sev and pomegranate seeds on top.
3. Best served chilled, although you can serve them at room temperature also.