Are you ready to make another batch of Chivda?
Diwali was recently celebrated across the globe with lots of family fun, lights, rituals and lots and lots of delicacies. Speaking of delicacies, I relish making my own Diwali snacks at home and one of my most favorite recipe which not only the best Diwali snack but could be made and devoured year around is Chivda!
I have tried to keep it traditional the way my mom makes it and what is familiar to my palette since childhood. However I love how versatile this snack is, one can make changes in the ingredients based on their taste buds and Viola it can never go wrong!
Here I am sharing my recipe for Chivda! By the end of the recipe you would definitely would want to make one!
Ingredients: 4 cups Thin Poha (rice flakes) 1 cup Puffed Poha (Murmura) ½ cup Baked Corn flakes ½ cup Makhana (Fox nuts) 2 tbsp Coconut flakes ¼ cup Cashew nuts ¼ Peanuts (whole or split) 2 tbsp Thinly sliced garlic 15-20 curry leaves 8-10 green chilies thinly chopped 2 tbsp Sesame seeds 3 tbsp Mustard seeds 3 tbsp split lentil (Dalwa) 2 tbsp Turmeric 1 tbsp Coriander powder Rock salt to taste 2 tbsp Sugar 4 tbsp Desi Ghee 1 tbsp Oil
- Take a large mixing bowl.
- Heat up another large fry pan on low and roast the Thin Poha, puffed Poha, makhana one after the other for 2-3 minutes each.
- Add them all to the mixing bowl.
- Heat up medium sauce pan, pour ghee and let it heat up a bit.
- Now fry peanuts, cashews, coconut flakes, split lentil, garlic, green chilies one after the other until golden brown. Strain and add them one after the other to the mixing bowl.
- Now add mustard seeds to the same sauce pan and let it splatter in the ghee, then add sesame seeds and turmeric and keep it for 3-5 secs.
- Add this tempering mixture to the mixing bowl.
- Heat up the oil in the same sauce pan and add curry leaves and let it splatter completely and turn crisp.
- Add this to mixing bowl as well.
- Now its time to give it all a good mix and make sure the Poha is nicely coated with the ghee mixture.
- Add salt and sugar, give it a one last mix and let it cool before you store it in an air tight container.