Freshly Baked Garlic Bread
Baking has always been a roller coaster ride for me! Sometime my cake turns out just as perfect and few other times I just have to use it as upside down:) No wonder why they say baking is art!
However, one thing comes out just right every time I bake it and that my favorite and I am sure everyone’s favorite too “Garlic bread”!
We all love having garlic bread as Entrée or as Side dish with our favorite Pasta or Lasagna. This oh so delicious recipe not only gives me guilt free eating pleasure but also a makes my meal time even more delightful! No doubt my neighbors gets hungry too...!
We are using 2 flour method so this helps to cut down some of the calories (worries) while indulging on this.
Let’s get Baking!
1 packet dry instant yeast ½ Tsp sugar 3/4 cup Luke warm water 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (Maida) 1/4 cup wheat flour 1 TBSP garlic powder 2 TBSP olive oil Italian Herbs of your choice Salt to taste
- Pre heat the oven at 400 Fahrenheit (F) or 200 degree Celsius.
- First take 1 cup of Luke warm water (make sure it’s just slightly warm that room temperature) and add 1 packet of dry yeast to it. Stir the mixture and add ½ tsp sugar in it. Sugar helps the yeast to grow. Keep this aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile the yeast is prepping up, take a big bowl and pour 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of wheat flour into it. Add 1 TBSP of garlic powder, salt to taste and 1 TBSP of olive oil.
- Now check the yeast and you will the mixture is bubbling. Give it one more stir.
- Add this mixture to our dry ingredients in the bowl and make a dough.
- Dough should be loose and sticky, so resist using extra dry flour while kneading it. Keep kneading this dough for about 7-10 mins.
- Once you get loose ball shaped dough consistency, add another 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to it. This helps the dough to remain moist.
- Now place this dough ball in one big deep bowl and cover it with white muslin cloth (cheesecloth). Let it rest for at least 45 mins. (if you can keep this longer it will be better)
- After 45 – 60 mins check your dough and you will see dough might have doubled its size.
10. Take out this dough on rolling board and give it good punch and keep kneading it for more 5 min.
11. Now spread the dough into round shape base with your fingers and fold it half way.
12. At this stage before folding you can add the mozzarella cheese in the half part if you like it!
13. Arrange the baking sheet on the baking tray and dust some corn flour on top of it.
14. Place the dough base on the baking tray, give it slight cuts, brush the top of dough base with some butter or olive oil and sprinkle Italian herbs of your choice.
15. Bake this for around 25 min and check after 25 min. bread should be done , if not bake for another 3-5 mins.
16. Take out of oven, let it cool for another 5 mins before you dig into 🙂
While you enjoy this, I will go bake something else!
- Variety: You can stuff cheese right before putting it into oven to make cheesy garlic bread. You can also replace all-purpose flour with wheat flour or any multigrain flour you like!
- Storage: It will remain good until 2 days at room temperature. if its really hot keep inside refrigerator and warm up a bit before eating every time.
- Eat it: With any dip of your choice or as a side for your pasta or lasagna.