Corn-Avocado Toast with a Twist
My love for avocados is immense! I can eat it all day everyday..:) I am amazed how versatile this fruit is! You can use it as spread as substitute for butter, turn it into guacamole as dip, slice it into your salad, make parathas out of it or simply eat it on its own.
Well my first encounter with avocados was not so delightful! I got them from the market with lot of excitement (all the excitement was only due to it being fancy exotic fruit that is shown on most of food shows). I got them really raw as I was having no clue about it and top of that I stored them into refrigerator and thus they never ripe:( I cut them raw after 1 week of wait and guess what all my excitement was suddenly disappeared! Vanished!
However experience makes you better isn't it? Now I know how to buy them and how to correctly store them in order to have it ready for a quick morning breakfast routine!
Here is one of our family favorite recipe I created specially for my Nephew and it turned out great! Do give it a try:)
You can definitely have this as evening snack or add it your elaborate Sunday Breakfast Menu:)
Lets get cooking:
Yield: 1 Toast Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 20 min
¼ red onion 4-5 cherry tomatoes (or 1/2 roma tomato) ½ cup corn kernels 1 medium ripe avocado 1 TBSP Mayonnaise 1 Tsp Ketchup 2 slices of brown/white bread 1 TBSP Feta Cheese ¼ lemon 1 Tsp Olive oil any veg. oil Salt and pepper to taste
Stage 1: Cooking
- Heat the pan to medium flame and add 1 Tsp oil to it. Add finely diced red onion and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Now add some cherry tomatoes (cut into half) and cook for another 30 secs. Remember not to overcook the tomatoes to get mushy, just heat them a bit.
3. One other side steam up the corn kernels with pinch of salt. Cut the avocado into small cubes and mix them with steamed corn kernels. Add some pepper to taste.
5. Now add the onion tomato mixture to this and give it good toss. Squeeze ¼ lemon to it, add salt to taste if needed, again give it a good mix.
Stage 2: Plateing
- Take 1 bread slice and cut into circle with help of mold or just any round container lid in your kitchen.
- Take another slice of bread and cut that into ring shape as shown in the picture below. Now slightly toast both the slices to make it little crispy.
4. Mix 1 Tbsp. of Mayonnaise and 1 Tsp of Ketchup together to form a paste.
5. Apply this paste on circular slice and place the ring shaped slice on to it.
6. Now pour 1 Tbsp. of mixture we made in stage 1 in the gap. Sprinkle some feta cheese on top and enjoy 🙂
- Variety: Use freshly grated coconut instead of feta cheese, it will taste good equally. You can even use sprouts as your filling and top it finely chopped cilantro and nylon shev (Indian dry snack). Trust me it tastes divine.
- Storage:Make it and have it! No storage needed.
- Eat with: simply on its own or with some mint chutney.